New vent cover
I managed to mod my oven vent cover after scouring hardware stores for suitable materials. I settled for an aluminum bracket and instead of a hinge type design, I made a sliding cover.
I got to test it out today on some baguettes which were meant for a New Year's eve party. I hope it will go well with the curry.
Today's baguettes were the best looking I have baked so far. The steam vent cover worked reasonably well although I could still see wisps of steam coming out from the vent. I will try lining the cover with a heat resistant soft material to improve the seal. However, going by how the baguettes turned out, I may just leave it alone for some time.
The ears opened up better in some of the slashes but I was still unable to get those that Hamelman illustrated in his book.