Sunday, March 23, 2008


Blood Orange Marmalage


I was at Fairprice finest last Friday and spotted some Blood Oranges. They were prepacked in net bags and there were bruises on some of them in each bag. When I got home, I realised that they were more damaged than I had thought. Rather than eating them fresh, I selected the good ones to make some marmalade.


The skin of Blood Oranges is rather soft and I found the flavor of the Orange itself to be more intense. It was an ideal candidate for making marmalade. The sugar used was only 1/3 the weight of the oranges. After the marmalade has been reduced, a small amount of butter was stirred in. I have to say that I loved it and will probably make more the next time.
I am still contemplating the addition of an Orange Liquer. With such an intense flavor, perhaps I should hold the liquer and enjoy it au naturel.


No comments:

 Staple Walnut Bread 1kg All purpose flour 800g Water 3 tsp salt 3 tsp yeast Bowl of walnuts Makes two large loaves Mix dry ingredients and ...