Thursday, April 09, 2009











Mission accomplished?

Today was my final attempt at replicating the baguette from Le Grenier a Pain. I put in the baking stone for this last attempt and that made a great difference in the appearance. Unfortunately, it was also the attempt to bake in a larger quantity that did me in. For this bake, my preferment was 40 oz but the total flour weight was 60 oz. Usually, the total flour weight was 40 oz and that results in a very flavorful baguette. When the loaves came out of the oven, the aroma was more subdued. That's another point to note for my next bake. I had trouble juggling the 10 loaves, 3 of which were baked on the hearth. The other 7 were baked in trays. The handling problems resulted in some snaky loaves and disappointing poor scoring.

The only good thing about this bake was that the crumb was identical to the one I bought from the Grenier bakery. The loaves baked on the hearth also had the ends curling up. 

No comments:

 Staple Walnut Bread 1kg All purpose flour 800g Water 3 tsp salt 3 tsp yeast Bowl of walnuts Makes two large loaves Mix dry ingredients and ...